Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Doulas Adams Part II

I read it. I read it on the plane going to Las Vegas. Let me tell you, the person sitting next to me did not appreciate the peals of laughter coming from my seat. I'm not quiet when I laugh either. I'm sure the whole plane hated me by the time the book was through.

This book was the funniest thing I've ever read in my entire life, and I've read a lot of books. Douglas Adams took a boring idea and made it into something wonderful. The book starts off with Arthur Dent trying to save his house from a demolition crew. I don't want to say anything I shouldn't, but Arthur pretty much loses his house due to bureaucracy. Which is why it's so funny that our planet is destroyed by the same type of thing.

The characters in this book are rich and funny. They are stupid and smart, naive and worldly all at the same time. They include a president that is really only a figure head that steals a one-of-a-kind spacecraft, a robot that is clinically depressed, and Arthur's best friend, who happens to be an alien. They really emulate all the things humans experience when they have no idea what is going on and are just trying to make it through.

The one thing I loved about this book is the way the author makes you feel like you are a part of the action even through you are really just an observer in this insane world.

I highly recommend this book for those that love science fiction, humor, or laughing out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment