Thursday, May 13, 2010

Great Expectations: Some Ether by Nick Flynn

This book came as a recommendation by e-mail. If you have a recommendation, e-mail us at nowtakingrequests@gmail.com As you can see, we will actually read your requests.



Some Ether by Nick Flynn was recommended to us by a customer at our library who also happens to be getting married to one of our employees. She claims she has read this book of poems at least 30 times. I was sceptical about this claim and then I realized that I have also read books many times over. I still read my very worn copy of The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. I've been reading that one every year since I was in the 4th grade. It's still a great book.



I'm not really into poetry, except for the romantics, funny haikus and children's poetry. I love Shel Silverstein and William Blake. It's an interesting combination, I know. I've also been exposed to some really bad poetry, mostly from boyfriends who can't write poetry, but try really hard.



I have little to no expectations for this book of poetry. I don't know if there is an overall theme. I don't know if he's any good. What I do know is that the cover is blue and white. I like blue. Maybe I'll like this book. Is that too far of a stretch?

2 comments:

  1. Do you want to know the overall theme? If so, keep reading!





    The book revolves around the author's mother committing suicide. The author is pretty well-known, at least in the poetry world, and has multiple books out, including two nonfiction books (Another Night in Bullshit City; The Ticking Is the Bomb) and another book of poetry (Blind Hubris) about bees. One of his more recent projects has been writing and researching the Iraq war.

    Thanks for reading; hope you like it! I also read and reread True Confessions--amazing book!!!

    ReplyDelete